Located in the town of Vesuvius in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Rockbridge County, Virginia, Nature Camp is a private, nonprofit, co-ed summer camp which offers an ideal environment for students who have a genuine interest in conservation and the natural world. The goal of Nature Camp is to foster an appreciation and love for nature through direct experience and to inspire young people of today to become environmentally responsible and conscientious citizens of tomorrow. It is first and foremost an academic camp that emphasizes hands-on, field-based, experiential learning. During their two weeks at Nature Camp, campers study in a variety of settings, including classrooms both inside and out, and spend much of their time behind the eyepieces of binoculars, knee-deep in a cold stream, running with butterfly nets, and completing written assignments. While there is hiking, a swimming pool, and a recreation field for free time, those seeking a solely recreational experience will not be happy at this camp.
For further information visit: www.naturecamp.net
Green Spring Garden Club, Inc., awarded 4 scholarships to Nature Camp in 2017. The garden club offers complete scholarships to this camp every year.
Campers attend a session that matches their Fall grade level.
- 1st Session (grades 10-12) June 17 – June 30, 2018
- 2nd Session (grades 8 – 9) July 1 – July 14, 2018
- 3rd Session (grades 7 – 8) July 15 – July 28, 2018
- 4th Session (grades 5 – 6) July 29 – August 11, 2018
12 Scholarships were offered by five local organizations for Summer 2018 sessions:
- Historic Rivers Chapter of the Virginia Master Naturalists (www.historic rivers.org)
- John Clayton Chapter of the Virginia Native Plant Society (www.claytonvnps.org)
- Williamsburg Bird Club (www.williamburgbird.org)
- Williamsburg Garden Club (www.gcvirginia.org/williamsburg)
- Green Spring Garden Club, Inc. (www.greenspringgardenclub.org)