Located in the town of Vesuvius in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Rockbridge County, Virginia, Nature Camp is a private, nonprofit, co-ed summer camp which offers an ideal environment for students who have a genuine interest in conservation and the natural world. The goal of Nature Camp is to foster an appreciation and love for nature through direct experience and to inspire young people of today to become environmentally responsible and conscientious citizens of tomorrow. It is first and foremost an academic camp that emphasizes hands-on, field-based, experiential learning. During their two weeks at Nature Camp, campers attend class daily, maintain a notebook, complete written projects, and participate in outdoor activities.
Five local organizations offered scholarships for Nature Camp 2020:
- historicrivers.org (Historic Rivers Chapter of the VA Master Naturalists)
- greenspringgardenclub.org (Green Spring Garden Club)
- williamsburgbirdclub.org (Williamsburg Bird Club)
- vnps.org/johnclayton/home/nature-camp/ (John Clayton Chapter -VA Native Plant Soc)
- gcvirginia.org/williamsburg (Williamsburg Garden Club)
Campers attend a session that matches their Fall grade level.
- 1st Session (grades 10-12) June 14 – June 27, 2020
- 2nd Session (grades 8 – 9) June 28 – July 11, 2020
- 3rd Session (grades 7 – 8) July 12 – July 25, 2020
- 4th Session (grades 5 – 6) July 26 – August 8, 2020