Green Spring Garden Club was organized in April 1956 by ten women in the Williamsburg, Virginia area. Those Charter Members articulated the following core objectives:
- Advancement of gardening
- Support of horticultural education
- Development of home grounds
- Encouragement of participation in community beautification
- Protection of forests, wild flowers and birds
- Study of horticulture and flower arrangement
- Support of the study of environmental sciences by way of scholarship grants
These objectives continue at the heart of what Green Spring Garden Club, Inc., does today through its membership activities and programs, through its annual Christmas Homes Tour, and in its commitment of proceeds to scholarships and community organizations.
In 1997 this non-profit organization became incorporated as Green Spring Garden Club, Inc.
Members meet on the second Thursday of the month from September to May.
The Christmas Homes Tour is always held on the first Saturday in December.